Stretch of the Month | SEPTEMBER | IMPROVE YOUR SPLITS
1.Be sure your muscles are warm before starting. After a hot bath or after dance class is a great time to stretch
2. Begin by kneeling on left knee with the right knee at a 90’ angle (for more flexible dancers, the right foot can be up on a chair). Check to make sure that hips are square. Check to make sure that the back foot is straight behind the hip, and not out to one side or the other
3. Lean forward, keeping the body upright
4. Try to keep all muscles as relaxed as possible, and breathe. The stretch shouldn’t hurt, but it’s OK to feel ‘uncomfortable’
5. Hold for 45 seconds, relax slightly, then press back into the stretch, pushing a little farther, and hold for 45 seconds
6. Repeat on the other side 7. Check your splits - see if you are farther!